How long does a Super 8 cartridge last?
- 3 minutes 12 seconds @ 18fps.
- 2 minutes 25 seconds @ 24fps.
- 2 minutes 20 seconds @ 25fps.
But this can vary slightly with different film stocks.
Help – my super 8 cartridge is lasting forever! Is it jammed? How do I fix this?
- Super 8 films sometimes jam! They were originally designed as a simple home movie format – with not necessarily a professional end user in mind.
- You can be unaware of this and the cart may seem like it’s lasting forever.
If you suspect something’s up you can…
- Remove the cartridge from the camera and quite forcefully tap it on a table top or in a palm of your hand. Then return it to the camera. This occassionally works.
- Remove the cartridge from the camera and using a permanent marker, place an ‘X’ on the film (in the front window of the cartridge). Place the film back in the camera and run it for 2 or 3 seconds. Then remove the cartridge from the camera again and check to see if the X has disappeared. If it has – good news, the film is moving. If not either the cartridges is faulty or the camera’s drive has issues. If you have another super 8 camera to hand – try the film in that one to see if you have the same problem.
- Occasionally some films will jam no matter what. If this is the case the film can be returned and a replacement sent out.
- If it happens continually with different carts you’ll need to get your camera checked.
How do I get my scanned (digitised) file?
We send films via MyAirBridge.com. But you’re of course welcome to send in a hard disc or USB stick if you’d rather not download or are on a limited bandwidth connection.